The Center for French Colonial Studies takes its logo from the roofline of the powder magazine at Fort de Chartres in Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, before its recent restoration.
The mission of the Center includes:
- serving as a clearing house (exchange center) for information on current research on the Illinois Country
- bringing together diverse groups interested in the period for the purpose of generating support for such research
- publishing original documents and research related to the French presence in the mid-Mississippi Valley
- working toward the establishment of a research center to be located in the Mississippi Valley, preferably in lower Illinois
- establishing contacts with Louisiana, Québec, France, and an international network of interested individuals and institutions
- promoting public awareness and interest in the French in the Midwest